Crooks in Power - Crooks in Business - Fox News Nonsense

From Bankruptcy swindles - Sponsorship Scams - Telecom Frauds. Gas - Land, Construction Crooks and the more than occasional political or other totally off-topic posts.

Name:
Location: United States

Produced in America where we don't get it right but at least there are 300 million of U.S.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Logitech Laser Fast Mouse Review

Technorati blog directory

I have been around computer technology for nearly 30 years. I find it increasingly difficult to get excited regarding new technology. When I got this mouse, I was thinking, "Ho hum. Another new mouse. Big deal." I was so wrong. This mouse is FUN.

I had the mouse installed in a few minutes. I had enough charge, so I went on with plugging in the USB receiver and popping in the CD. Installation was a few clicks and a couple of dozen megabytes away. I already had an optical mouse that worked great on a light oak desktop, so that was my standard. This mouse worked just as readily. However, my previous mouse had a nasty cord. The new mouse responds quickly and effectively over the 2.4 GHz transmitter.

The first thing I noticed after starting to use the mouse is that the mouse scrolled fast with the scroll wheel. Let me make sure you understand what I mean. When I scrolled the wheel, each file I was in blurrrrrrred past. Wow. Cool. If you like, a more precise feel you can press on the scroll wheel once to get clicks and slower scroll. Click again and a spin of the wheel blurs you through a document. This same feature works on the internet. I kept scrolling and clicking, a big smile on my face. This mouse is one cool mouse. I think I am in love with the mouse. However, wait, there's more! The scroll wheel automatically adjusts to the size of the document so that you get click scrolling or fast scrolling. This mouse is awesome!

This mouse has many more buttons. There is a "touch to search" button just behind the scroll wheel. Highlight a word or phrase, click the button and you are off to your favorite search engine to search for the word or phrase. This feature alone is a great time saver and fun to boot.

There is a button on the left side of the mouse. That button was initially set up to switch between documents. I reprogrammed the button using the included Logitech Setpoint (tm) software so that the left button modified the zoom in a document. I tend to zoom in and out more than I change documents, so the reprogramming was useful to me; people that use drawing or CAD software will love this feature.

Two more buttons on the left edge of the mouse are initially programmed to move forward and backward. On the internet, these buttons move you to previous internet pages.

As cool as this mouse is, the range of features permissible with re-programming of the mouse is excellent. With the exception of the left and right click buttons, a user can program each button with a variety of options. While programmable mice have previously existed, with seven controls and a range of choices for five of those controls, the range of programming for this mouse is phenomenal. Even better, a user can program the buttons for operability with all software or for certain programs.

This mouse also has visual indicators that let you know when you have to recharge the batteries. The indicators are a mild green when the mouse charge is acceptable. The indicators go out after a short period to save the battery charge. I thought the indicators were subtle reminders of the charge level. When the charge level becomes too low, a red indicator lights; it is time to recharge dude!

This mouse also looks cool. The black and dark gray colors go well with my Dell computer. The mouse is shaped to fit my hand and my thumb, which makes the mouse very comfortable. The mouse slides easily and smoothly on my desk, giving me excellent control over the position of the pointer.

I do have a teeny word of criticism. The box the mouse arrived in was a pain to open. Worse, the plastic packaging for the mouse and the receiver secured the mouse and receiver too well. I got the mouse out somewhat easily; though removing the mouse was awkward. The receiver, though small, was harder to remove. I ended up bending a thumbnail and being personally annoyed when removing the receiver. Okay, a little difficulty in taking the mouse and receiver out of the box was a small price to pay for getting my hands on the best mouse I have ever owned. Perhaps Logitech will take a hint with the packing and making the mouse a bit easier to get out in the future.

Just when I thought technology had become boring, Logitech comes out with the MX Revolution. This mouse has more features than I knew could be packed into a mouse, the best scroll wheel ever, and a shape that looks as though the mouse belongs in a science fiction show. Well, I have a scroll wheel to play with, so I am out of here. I recommend you get your own. Trust me, you will love this mouse.